October 20, 2008

The Cake Slice: Cappuccino Chiffon Cake

I love cakes. And I love baking cakes even more. Imagine how excited I was when I found out that Gigi of Gigi Cakes, along with Katie of Apple & Spice, had started a new baking group: The Cake Slice. The group will be baking once a month from a cookbook for a year.

This year we will be baking from "Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes" by Alisa Huntsman and Peter Wynne which I did not own until a few days ago. (I had been eyeing this book for months!) My husband took the initiative and Amazoned it for me as a surprise when I mentioned that I joined the group -- isn't he sweet? The book has an assortment of cakes that looks really scrumptious. I don't know if I can wait for next month to bake from it.

On to this month's cake: Cappuccino Chiffon Cake. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, I don't get why you would risk scalding your tongue and lose your taste buds just for a caffeine buzz. But I would eat anything else made with coffee: from candy to ice cream. I guess I like my caffeine sweet and creamy so this cake hits the spot.

I also like that this is a chiffon cake, where whipped egg whites are folded in to lighten the batter which results in the cake to have a light and fluffy texture. It's very similar to cakes eaten in Philippines. I followed the recipe as stated except used vanilla sugar. (I had some spent vanilla pods steeping in sugar for a few weeks now so decided to use this for the recipe.) I also had to whip more cream to frost the cake since my kids kept swiping them from the bowl :) I topped the cake with chocolate-covered espresso beans.Everyone loved the cake so I will be baking this again. I think this is a nice start to my new endeavor, don't you think?

Please check out the other Cappuccino Chiffon Cakes by my fellow members at The Cake Slice Bakers.

11 comments:

Deborah said...

This was a perfect cake to start off with, wasn't it!!?? Your cake looks wonderful!

Rosie said...

Your cake looks divine!! I want to try this cake with chocolate next time around :)

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Cake!!! It's simply breath taking! I have also added you to both of the blogrolls.

Megan said...

It looks smashing! I really wish I had tried a piece of the one I made - hopefully next month I will!

Maria♥ said...

Your cake looks absolutely stunning!

Maria
x

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome. I bet it would collapse if I made this.

Caroline said...

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. Can't wait for the next cake!

Jude, whatever do you mean? You're a great baker!

Anonymous said...

your cake looks lovely! =) yumyum!

Caroline said...

Thanks, Gracie!

TeaLady said...

This looks absolutely lovely.

La said...

oooh is this close to a mocha roll if added with cocoa? i wanted to turn that darn butter sandwhich into a mocha roll with sans rival filling instead of just...butter, lol.

ok i'm flooding your blog but that's what happens when this piggy wants cake LOL!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin