December 16, 2008

Candied Kalamansi Peel


As you know, I got some kalamansi from my mother. So far I made cookies from the zest, curd from the juice and figured I go all out and make candied kalamansi peel. Knowing it will be some time until I can get ahold of these fruits again, I wanted to preserve them so I can enjoy them even longer.


Since I previously zested them and their skin were thin to begin with, I didn't bother boiling them in water like you would if you were making candied peels from oranges or grapefruit. I did pull the segments out which is optional.



Candied Kalamansi Peel

about 25 kalamansi, cut in half
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, melted (optional)

Put water and sugar in medium saucepan and stir to dissolve sugar completely.

Add kalamansi rinds and stir. Bring to a boil then lower heat and let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Peels in syrup will keep covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 weeks.)

Let them cool in syrup. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a wire rack placed on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll in additional sugar (or dip in melted chocolate, optional). Let dry then can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 weeks.


After most of the kalamansi "honey" dripped down from the peels, roll them in sugar. Or you can dip them in melted chocolate like I did to some of them. Everything usually taste even better with chocolate so these were extra yummy!


One more thing, save that precious syrup you end up with from cooking the kalamansi in. Mine came out thick like honey. I drizzled it on my morning toast and I stirred some to soda water to make soda pop for the kids.


I had a blast rediscovering this fruit I took for granted growing up. It was also fun introducing them to my husband and kids who really enjoyed them. Their smell and taste brought back lots of memories like the sour face contests my older sister and I would have when we dared each other to eat it whole. And my Mom asking me to pick some from our backyard tree just before supper. Now I'm on a mission to look for them in the markets and even my local nursery. Maybe then I, too, can tell my kids to pick some kalamansi just before we sit down to eat.

12 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I've been so drool-y over all your kalamansi creations. Wish I had a kalamansi plant here. *sigh*

These look just lovely, as do the other ones. I love the idea of the melt-aways.

Anonymous said...

If you're having trouble finding these in the US, you might consider growing your own. I've seen them growing in pots in Texas and they were thriving.

Anonymous said...

From the first time I tasted kalamansi, I fell in love with it. I just wish I could find them fresh around here. I bet they ARE awesome as candied peel. MMMM!

Anonymous said...

OMG...this is so interesting! Never thought of candied the kalamansi peels! Well, I ate before kalamansi pickles, juice, dried with sour plum powder,etc but this is really new to me. I love the transparent dome shape look of the peels. :-)

Caroline said...

Thanks, J! I'm now on the look-out for a plant but might be a little cold to plant this time.

Anon: I think growing my own would be the best way, too. Just got to look around for it.

Caroline said...

Carolyn: I can't wait to get more kalamansi. I don't think I'll be able to throw the peels out ever now that I can make candy out of them. Thanks for stopping by.

pixen: kalamansi pickles? Now that's an idea. Something I need to work on, once I can get ahold of more kalamansi that is!

Anonymous said...

Great job Caroline! You're right, great minds do think alike;)

Anonymous said...

calamnsi taste good

edeline said...

yummy and smells good

Divina Pe said...

This is fabulous. There's more to calamansi than just obtaining the juice. Brilliant.

SKIP TO MALOU said...

this is interesting, i never had candied calamanis peel before. maybe i could do this with my calamansi right now... thanks for sharing this unique recipe...

Jun Belen said...

I was searching the net for candied kalamansi peels and I stumbled upon your post... this is gorgeous, Caroline!! And I have to check out your cookies and kalamansi curd, too! I just wish we had kalamansi all year-round! Something I truly miss about home!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin