August 14, 2011

Doughnut Muffins for Muffin Monday


Ever since I joined Muffin Monday, I find myself looking forward more enthusiastically to Mondays. I mean a little baked good can really get your week to a great start. This week's recipe is Doughnut Muffins, the easiest recipe so far.


The original recipe makes about 10 regular-sized muffins. I decided to make mini muffins to mimic the doughnut holes and I yielded 24 minis. These muffins were just slightly sweet, baked with cinnamon and nutmeg, and dipped in more cinnamon sugar once they come out of the oven.


What made baking these muffins really fun for me was the option of adding a jam filling. I went crazy and added what I have in my pantry: candied kumquats, chocolate chips, passionfruit jam and pumpkin butter. :)


While they were baking, I thought to put different toppings so my family will know what's inside. Chocolate ganache for the kumquat, powdered sugar on the chocolate chips, sprinkles on the passionfruit and cinnamon sugar on the pumpkin butter ones.

My boys had lots of fun baking (and eating) these doughnut muffins that they've already requested to bake more this week. They have also made a list of fillings they want to want to try like peanut butter and grape jelly, Nutella, strawberry preserves and peach jam.

I wanted to try adding bacon jam myself. :)

Doughnut Muffins

250g (1 3/4 cup) all purpose flour
10g (1 1/2 tsp) baking powder
3g (1/2 tsp) salt
3g (1/2 tsp) ground nutmeg
2g (1/4 tsp) ground cinnamon
150g (3/4 cup) sugar
80ml (1/3 cup) oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
180ml (3/4 cup) milk
fillings: jams, preserves, chocolate, Nutella

cinnamon-sugar topping:
1/4 cup melted butter
50g (1/3 cup) sugar
8g (1 tsp) ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
Prepare muffin pans, either with pan spray of liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
In a small bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg and milk. Stir mixture into the dry ingredients.
Fill pans halfway with batter, add half a teaspoon of desired fillings, top with more batter until 3/4 full.
Bake for 15-17 minutes or until toothpick test comes clean.
Remove from pan and brush tops with melted butter then dip in cinnamon sugar mixture.


Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.

14 comments:

Baker Street said...

I can't decide. I'd really like to try all of them. Please do try bacon jam too. We'd love to know how it turns out.

Elena @3greenOnions said...

Your muffins look yum yum!:)candied kumquat - I'd love to try that one...mmm...

Aimee White said...

Looks like we had somewhat similar ideas with these muffins... but your flavour combinations?! So creative and gorgeous! And great ideas from your boys: am absolutely using Nutella next time :)

Alan Cooke said...

Wow, what a selection. Looks like ya'll had a blast making these. I loved how easy they were! :) Nutella sounds yum!

Foodwanderings said...

OMG these look so authentic. Love how they look very much like doughnuts only muffins. Truly gorgeous.

SKIP TO MALOU said...

I miss Muffin Monday but looking at your post made me smile... esp that part on how your boys are enjoying baking with you. I love to have a dozen of each carol! fed ex me some since I didn't have the time to join you guys this week!
malou

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves said...

I love it & I'm pretty sure Homer Simpson gives it 2 thumbs up!

Betty Ann of AsianinAmericamag said...

Caroline, these are absolutely the Muffins to end all MUFFINS ! What a delicious post...look at those chocolatey cuties, and those sprinkles ! Oh my goodness! It was fun baking with you again, and the rest of the Muffin Monday Bakers!

The Food Librarian said...

So cute!!! I look forward to your Monday posts!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

these are so cute! and i love that you made different toppings! a bacon doughnut muffin sounds soooo good!

STAY AT HOME CHEF said...

Oh my goodness each and every one of these muffins look fantastic! LOVE the idea of chocolate ganache with candied kumquats...yum!

Terra said...

Now I want a donut, especially one with sprinkles! The mini version is adorable! Take care, Terra

Annapet said...

Definitely varieties when it comes to DONUTS, right? Cannot be just one box of glazed...Unless the 2nd box has the mix!

So sorry I'm super late. Ayokong tumingin until successfully posted na ang donuts ko.

Happy to bake with you again.

Kim said...

i LOVE how you made these muffins look like actual doughnuts!!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin