September 7, 2008

Banana Chiffon Cake

This is one of my favorite cakes to make and eat. It is very light and airy but not very sweet. It reminds of mamon, a Filipino sponge cake I always ask my Mom to buy for me for my merienda (afternoon snack) when I was little. Now I make it all the time for my little boys.

I found this recipe from Everyday Food magazine January/February 2007 issue. The recipe serves 12 but I usually end up with more. I usually pre-slice and pack the individual portions so my kids can just grab them and go. It's also good to eat for breakfast, with your morning coffee.


I also find that the flavor is better is you use a riper banana. So don't throw away those bananas when their skin starts to turn brown. Make this cake instead. :)

Banana Chiffon Cake

(from Everyday Food Magazine, Jan/Feb 2007)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup vegetable oil
7 large eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup cold water
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
confectioner's sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In a medium bowl, mash banana. Add oil, egg yolks, vanilla, and water; mix to combine. Add to flour mixture and whisk until smooth.

In another large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar using an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.

With a rubber spatula, gently fold beaten egg whites into batter just until incorporated. (DO NOT OVERMIX or you will deflate the air bubbles and cake will not be light and airy.)

Pour into an angel-cake or tube pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 50-55 minutes.

Invert pan and let it cool completely; about 1 1/2 hour. Reinvert pan, release cake and place on platter. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin