September 8, 2008

Before & After #2: Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes

Before

I love roasting vegetables. It so simple to prepare and not alot to do once they're popped in the oven. I also like how roasting concentrates all the vegetables' flavors while it mellows out and caramelizes at the same time.

My husband has become quite the green thumb. We've been enjoying our harvest of tomatoes and eggplants all summer. This is one of the things I've made.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut up an eggplant to 1-inch cubes and place in baking sheet. Cut up tomatoes to same size (or you can use cherry or grape tomatoes, whole) and place with eggplant. Slice half a red onion into half-inch wide half-rings. Toss in 4-6 cloves of garlic. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan or the veggies will end up steaming, and they'll end up soggy.

Sprinkle in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and about a teaspoon of salt. Place in middle rack of oven for about 40-50 minutes, turning pan halfway.

Transfer to platter, make sure to peel the skins off the garlic before serving.

This makes a great side dish to any grilled meats. I've also served this on top of pasta with some shavings of parmesan cheese. Yum!

After

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the looks of this, seems yummy. All of a sudden, I'd like to visit the Asian store that sells eggplant and cook this one!!!

Caroline said...

Thanks, Tess. Let me know how it turns out.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin