September 10, 2008

My Brother's Birthday Cake

It was my brother's birthday so, of course, I baked him a cake. One of the things he likes to do is play poker so I figured I'll put a poker theme of some sort.

He also just got married (this May) so the cake ended up with hearts only. To avoid being too girly, I used chocolate frosting by itself.

My kids love to blow candles out on birthday cakes. (Who doesn't?) They can't wait for everyone to sing "Happy Birthday." My youngest is ready to turn off the lights.
My middle son front and center. My kids say this is practice for their actual birthday. LOL. My brother doesn't seem to mind. He lit up the candle several times to get everyone a turn blowing out the candles. He's cool like that. Happy Birthday again, Kuya Noel.
The Moist Yellow Cake recipe is from Epicurious.

The Chocolate Frosting is from my latest read, The Secrets of Baking by Sherry Yard.

Chocolate Frosting
makes 2 cups (I doubled it)

8 oz. bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli chocolate chips)
4 0z. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Place the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl over pot of simmering water. Melt the chocolate until melted. Then take bowl out from the heat.

Sift the sugar into the chocolate. Use a rubber spatula to stir it in. Keep stirring until all the sugar is absorbed and smooth.

Use the frosting right away. It is good to use for 2 days, kept in the fridge.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin