November 13, 2008

A Thanksgiving Classic: Libby's Pumpkin Pie

I grew up without an oven in Manila. Breads and other baked goods always came from the neighborhood bakery. So when I arrived in LA, I was very eager to bake but was a little apprehensive about it as well since I didn't know how or where to begin.

Luckily, I met Betty and Duncan (and even Pill DB). They got me started baking and haven't stopped ever since. Weekends during high school and college were spent baking with my "baking friends." One of the friends that would make their yearly visit (usually around Thanksgiving) is Libby.

One of the first things I learned to bake is pumpkin pie. It's as easy as pie! Sorry, couldn't help it ;) You open 2 cans (pumpkin puree and evaporated milk), pour in a bowl and add 2 eggs, some sugar and spices, stir and pour in a pie shell. Done!
Of course, back then I had plenty of mishaps (still do!). Who knew the pumpkin custard can ooze out if I fill it all the way to the brim? Sure, I didn't put the pie pan on a baking sheet so I spent hours scraping up the burnt spill at the bottom of the oven.

I got ahold of this vintage pie pan from a yard sale for a dollar. It was so kitschy, having the recipe on the pan and all. Never seen anything like it before. My husband introduced me to my love affair with antiques and anything retro. Yard sale-ing is one of those things we would do B.C. (Before Children) and hardly get to nowadays. I figure I make a pumpkin pie the "old-school" way just like back in high school.

I haven't seen my baking friends in awhile since nowadays, I like to bake from scratch. (To be continued)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin