September 5, 2011

Goat Cheese and Figs Cheesecake Muffins

I'm so glad I was able to join this week's Muffin Monday. My unpredictable work schedule can sometime make me feel like a stranger in my own kitchen so suddenly finding myself with three full days off from work helped me get reacquainted and start baking again. So far I've baked semolina corn bread, made cherry frozen yogurt and bake a chocolate birthday cake for my sister-in-law.

I also baked these Cheesecake Muffins that were easy to put together. Delicious cakey muffins filled with creamy cheese and fresh fruit. The original recipe asked for strawberries but I decided to put figs since I had just got back from picking a basketful of figs off my friend's tree. I used goat cheese since they pair so well with figs.


Goat Cheese and Figs Cheesecake Muffins
makes 12

350g (2 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
140g (3/4 cup) caster (powdered, not confectioner's) sugar
15g (1 TBSP) baking powder
finely grated zest of 2 medium oranges (I used tangerine)
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
250ml (1 cup) whole milk, room temperature
85g (6 TBSP) butter, melted and cooled
175g (6 ounces) goat cheese, room temperature
6 small figs, halved

Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Prepare a standard muffin tray with liners.
Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, zest and salt into a large bowl.
In a small bowl, beat eggs. Add milk and butter and mix together.
Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients. Batter will be lumpy, do not overmix.
Fill tins halfway with batter. Spoon a teaspoon of goat cheese and top with half a fig. Spoon batter to cover tops.
Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick test is clean. Remove and let it cool slightly before serving.

Soon after the Goat Cheese and Figs Cheesecake Muffins came out of the oven, I've gone and baked another batch. This time using cream cheese (since I've already used all the goat cheese) along with raspberries. These muffins were also a hit. Next time, I will try mascarpone cheese. What other cheese do you think will work?

Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.

8 comments:

Baker Street said...

So glad you're back and baking with us. Goat cheese is an excellent take.

PS: Would have love to be in your kitchen this weekend. All those goodies sound super yumm. Hope you'll share it with soon.

The Poet Herself said...

I bet mascarpone cheese would be fabulous in this recipe. What a cool idea to use goat cheese and figs!

Aimee White said...

I absolutely love what you did with these! I'm drooling just thinking about that goat cheese and those figs. A beautiful combination to taste and see, no doubt! And how jealous am I that your friend has a fig tree? :)

Mascarpone is a great idea! You could always try making a savoury muffin with cheddar or parmasan? Hmm.

Annapet said...

Absolutely yummy, Carol! Mascarpone would be lovely for sure! So happy you baked with us this week ;-).

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

wow figs and goat cheese that is brilliant! you always come up with the best flavor combinations. mascarpone sounds like a great idea too!

Anonymous said...

I really liked you version! I love figs, I think it's my favourite fruit since 1 year or 2! I so have to make your muffin, it would be an error not making them haha

elena @3greenonions said...

mmmm figs. I would give anything for access to a fig tree:) I have to rely on jars upon jars of preserves though:) Your muffins look awesome:)

Unknown said...

The muffins look great.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin