October 3, 2011

Zucchini Sesame Seed Muffins

I am pleased to welcome another week with a delicious muffin baked along the Muffin Monday bakers. This time, we give you a savory one. I have been looking forward each week to getting Anuradha's recipe, secretly hoping it will be a savory one. :)  It has been awhile since we offered Spinach Feta Muffins. We used zucchini this time mixed in with your herbs of choice, along with sesame seeds for a nutty crunch.


I used black sesame seeds to give the muffins a contrast in color and loved the results. My family loved them also though next time I would be more generous with my use of herbs. Maybe even use fresh ones.

Zucchini Sesame Seed Muffins
makes 12 regular-sized  muffins

(original recipe found in the book 1 Mix, 100 Muffins)

300g (about 2 medium) zucchini
240g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
2 TBSP sesame seeds (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs (I used cumin & oregano)
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
240g (1 cup) plain yogurt
3 TBSP oil
3 TBSP butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Grease muffin tin with pan spray or use liners.
Grate zucchini, squeezing out excess moisture, set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, sesame seeds and herbs.
In another bowl, combine eggs, yogurt, oil and butter.
Add liquid into the dry ingredients. Stir quickly but lightly until combined.
Place into muffin tins. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
Transfer to cooling rack for about 5 minutes. Then remove from pan. Serve warm.


Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.

11 comments:

Baker Street said...

I'm so glad you're on the savory muffin squad! There will be many more in the week's to come. I love that you used black sesame seeds. :)

elena @3greenonions said...

I am a savory muffin girl too:) And yes, I felt these needed a LOT more herbs and fresh ones would be awesome, I bet:)I love the black sesame seeds, sadly its quite difficult to get them here:(

Stay At Home Chef said...

Mmmm...bet the cumin & oregano were fantastic in this recipe! Kinda makes me which I'd gone the savoury rather than sweet route with this one :)

Kate @ FoodBabbles said...

Your muffins look fantastic!!!

The Poet Herself said...

The black sesame seeds are a nice touch. They look great!

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves said...

I love love LOVE the contrast you got going on here. I still have to get into the savory muffins as you can see with my posting. Maybe I have to get eased into it gently!

Aimee White said...

Oh my gosh I love your muffins! The black sesame seeds are so pretty! Great photos and I love the idea of using fresh herbs in these :)

Terra said...

Love the addition of black sesame seeds, they definitely give the muffins a fun look! Beautiful:-) Hugs, Terra

Let Me Eat Cake said...

your baked creations are always so beautiful! love that you used black sesame. i wonder how your muffins will turn out with fresh herbs versus dried, let me know when you try it :)

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

Interesting that you used yoghurt not buttermilk. Does it make much of a difference to the taste and texture. Love the use of the black sesame seeds - they look stunning.

Anonymous said...

I'm having a "why didn't I think of that?" moment... I always have both white and black sesame seeds at home, they look gorgeous! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin